[CPWG] ICANN Blog: The Global Digital Compact: A Top-down Attempt to Minimize the Role of The Technical Community

Sivasubramanian M 6.internet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 18:56:49 UTC 2023

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 12:58 PM Wolfgang Kleinwächter via CPWG <
cpwg at icann.org> wrote:

> Time is ripe to start a new discussion. And to renew the platforms of the
> non governmental stakeholder groups (I*, IGC, ICC) to organize a
> coordinated response to the governmental activities,  both for GDC as well
> as for WSIS +20.
>
> Don't wait to be invited for #consultations#. We have to be pro-active.

One way to be proactive is to bring back IGF at ICANN, both during the ICANN
meetings and intersessionally, and shape the WG as one that will be
emphatic about the need for Technical standards and technical coordination
to remain distinctly independent, while at the same time asking to
eliminate provocations, if any, for the pointless "tech-nationalism" .
IGF at ICANN can not only bring together stakeholders in their respective
roles, but also serve as a principal platform.