[CPWG] Communication to ICANN GC

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 18:43:40 UTC 2023

Let the record show I bear witness that the views expressed are not new but
arrived at after fulsome deliberations; some are at least 15 years old.

I was an early convert to Evan's countervailing idea on domain pricing
after seeing evidence provided by a few ccTLD registries. The argument from
inside then was that the competition expected from DNS expansion would put
a brake on prices.  This narrative conveniently ignored how the mandated
pricing structure for the .com domains contoured the domain name market.
Mind you, the Verisign agreements, if nothing else, was a primary exhibit
for a prima facie case for ICANN as de facto [market] regulator on one hand
even as it absolved itself of its duty to act as regulator.

The ALAC's role as mandated in by-law is particularly challenging because
it chafes against the reality of how a private power is exercised in
cyberspace as if it were a treaty power, the representational model we seek
to employ and power equation in play. Not a new idea for sure. What we see
comes straight from an earlier land grab that created the need for the
papal bull known as the Treaty of Tordesillas in 1494.  That's the one
which prompted the grouse [allegedly] of the French Bourbon king "Am I not
a christian and a prince'.

Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*