[CPWG] Ready, Fire, Aim

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:02:21 UTC 2023

Evan,

Thank you and to those of you who have given us a variety of
multi-perspective insights recently.

I agree with you on the need for a discussion to clarify the ALAC mission. We
can continue to rely on a few words from by-laws written in the distant
past and different interpretations, or we can try to build and clarify what
has been learned since the time when the words were written.

I’d hope that a new written document would be used to capture the
discussion and results, if consensus can be reached.

This may or may not involve consultants to help manage the conversation,
but consultants should only be used to facilitate the process, There is
much wisdom in our community already. We do not need consultants to
independently add perspectives which don’t originate from the At-Large
community itself.

I also think the value of a written document is that it will be easier for
new participants At-Large participants to understand how past ALAC
institutional debates effect the present without them having to learn by
laboriously studying ALAC/ICANN history and slowly getting random tidbits
of wisdom from those who have personal experience with past debates An
additional benefit, is that a written document can also be used to educate
and interact with non-ICANN informed end users themselves.

This likely means that we need to revisit what the concept of consensus
means within the ALAC community.

Additionally, I’d like to gently pushback and add a new perspective for how
to think about end user needs.

First, as a system designer and experienced software developer, I find it’s
absolutely critical to build systems which prioritize end user needs. I
have no argument with this mission centered goal.

However, although end users' needs are a critical part of the process, end
users themselves often have a very narrow view on the best way to achieve
their needs. Also, they don’t always understand the necessary tradeoffs
which must be taken to ensure a stable system that balances the needs of
others. This is the trick of creating a good user experience design
process. Understanding and adopting user experience design skills to
achieve a healthy balance with At-Large institutional design can be useful
to our work.

Furthermore, if we allow ourselves to move beyond a narrow perspective of
an end user in order to meet the goals of the At-Large mission, I think
it’s important for an informed At-Large community to use a system thinking
frame when looking at how to design the At-Large community. I believe the
system thinking frame will help us understand and effectively
represent/advocate for end users.

I believe we exist within an evolving complex adaptive socio-technical
system. This is a non-trivial problem. The work of institutional innovation
is not done, either within the institution of At-Large or more broadly with
the institution of ICANN and its interaction with the world itself. By
using a transparent process we can educate end users, include/welcome end
users into the discussion and eventually pass our work on to a new
generation of end users who will come after us.

Mike Palage said in a different thread “I have enjoyed participating in
CPWG calls for years because I believe they give some of the best objective
reviews of the issues being discussed within the community.”. This to me
indicates we have a healthy community which adds value to the ICANN
organization despite any opinions which may differ. ALAC does provide an
effective public forum which doesn't exist elsewhere in ICANN. In fact, our
success at building a strong and effective At-Large institution
representing end users will likely bring more criticism from those who
oppose the interests of end users, especially from those who oppose end
users with a strong informed voice.

Just a few thoughts. Thanks for listening.

Cheers

David