[CPWG] Ready, Fire, Aim

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 14:38:53 UTC 2023

I fully support providing Evan with the necessary resources to attend the
conference in person in Hamburg. His attendance would be extremely
valuable, given his expertise and knowledge. Investing in his participation
will likely yield significant benefits for our organization that outweigh
the costs.

-ed

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:50 PM Evan Leibovitch via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
wrote:

> In a previous life I believed that any time spent on crafting a corporate
> mission statement was truly time wasted. Since then I have realized that
> this disdain came from my observation that most mission statements are
> bland, generic business-speak using words like "excellence" and
> "leadership" and especially "synergy" (a trait well expressed in a lovely
> Weird Al song <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4>).
>
> I have come to realize that an succinct, expressive, jargon-free statement
> of purpose can be of substantial value and is worth the effort. It can
> provide necessary focus, constantly reminding us why exactly we're here,
> minimizing mission creep and setting priorities on which to spend our
> limited resources. Mission drives strategy (getting more specific) and
> strategy drives tactics (down to the detail level). The reason I started
> this thread comes from the frustration of seeing ALAC engage in activities
> that don't seem to be part of a coherent strategy and thus questionable
> linkage to any overarching At-Large goal. Like Jonathan said, we can
> occasionally have differences about whether any particular ICANN issue
> serves our mission but without clear frames of reference such debates are
> inefficient at best and futile at worst.
>
> In this light, I welcome the opportunity to engage in a good-faith attempt
> to develop something akin to an At-Large Strategic Plan, to ensure that we
> pick our battles wisely and then fight them as best as our collective
> talent is able. I would be delighted to participate in the Frankfurt
> discussion Jonathan describes and perhaps even help to lead any followup
> effort if you'll have me. Successful execution of this effort directly
> addresses the concerns I expressed in opening this thread. Plus, it would
> be a chance for people who don't know me here to finally see my
> constructive side ;-).
>
> - Evan

*Notice*: This email may contain confidential information, is subject to
legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named addressee only.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or copy
any part of this email. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify the sender and delete this message immediately.