[CPWG] Closed Generic Examples - follow-up from today's CPWG Call

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Jan 4 23:59:29 UTC 2023

Very nice documents, many thanks to all involved in preparation. They
represent a lot of useful work.

What I extract from this is: Despite all the previous hand-wringing and
prophecies of doom regarding closed generics -- and there was much of that
-- for the most part they look to provide utility to end users and
demonstrate a level of innovation not possible with the "open" TLDs. Most
of the possible downsides mentioned are purely hypothetical ("what if?") in
nature. My position taken ages ago, in support of closed generics from an
end-user point of view despite significant community opposition, appears
vindicated. Registrars and speculators, the largest source of complaints
about inability to sell subdomains from closed TLDs. still have plenty of
open ones from which to peddle.

One suggestion: Since so much (worthy) effort went into this, I believe the
names of author(s) and date of publication ought to be included in both
docs.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56