[CPWG] ICANN’s Contractual Governance Regime

Alan Greenberg greenberg.alan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 01:09:33 UTC 2023

I too support this.

The premise behind the ICANN Bylaw wording is that ICANN should never
create rules about content. but RVCs are not created by ICANN. They are a
REGISTRY commitment. A commitment that they are willing to have enshrined
in a contract. It is ludicrous that there could be terms in an ICANN
contract that are fully legal in the relevant jurisdiction but are not
enforced or enforceable. ICANN enforcing a registry commitment which
relates to content is NOT ICANN regulating content - the REGISTRY is doing
that (and fully within its rights). ICANN is simply ensuring that
contractual terms are met.

Alan