[CPWG] Fwd: New consultation on UK-related domain names powers

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Mon Jul 31 21:45:35 UTC 2023

On 31/07/2023 20:45, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via CPWG wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> please see my email below. My personal view is that I am not surprised
> that National Legislation is being considered since ICANN and the Domain
> Name Industry have been unwilling to tackle the problem of DNS abuse for
> so long. I know a lot more is being done now, but it may well be too
> little, too late. What do you think?
> Kindest regards,

It is a bit more complex than it seems, Olivier,
There was a boardroom coup a few years ago and the former chairman and
CEO left the organisation after being voted out by members.

https://domainincite.com/26459-breaking-motion-to-fire-five-nominet-directors-passes-in-tight-vote

https://domainincite.com/28910-government-to-regulate-uk-related-domain-names

It looks like government oversight legislation to maintain power over
the ccTLD. I think that many of the national governments may have
similar powers to appoint a registry operator for their ccTLDs. Nominet
also has some gTLDs under its control.

Regards...jmcc

John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com