[CPWG] DRAFT COMMENT: Amendments to the Base gTLD RA and RAA

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 28 13:09:32 UTC 2023

I suggested something short and sweet and there was general CPWG agreement.

FIRST DRAFT:

DNS Abuse has been discussed and debated within ICANN for what seems forever. Going back to 2010, a GNSO group (Registration Abuse Policies Implementation Drafting Team - RAP-‐IDT) identified issues and recommended actions be taken.

Much talk, little action.

We have repeatedly heard registrars say that compliance should take action against “bad actors” and ICANN Compliance saying that they did not have the tools.

The ALAC has repeatedly, over many years, advised that that the obvious need was for registrars and ICANN Org to sit down and ensure that ICANN have the necessary tools.

It is with collective pleasure that the ALAC compliments registrars and ICANN Org for finally doing just that.

There are no doubt additional changes that the ALAC could identify to make the RAA/RA changes even better in our view, but this is not the time for that discussion.

The ALAC supports the planned contractual improvements and encourages all parties to take whatever action necessary to ensure that they are implemented with minimal delay.