[CPWG] .NET Public Comment Period

mike palage.com mike at palage.com
Tue May 2 18:46:28 UTC 2023

Hello All,

In response to the constructive dialog regarding the .NET Registry Agreement, or more specifically the Registry Registrar Agreement (RRA), I wanted to bring the community the following update to the .NET Public Comment Page posted April 26th, see https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-renewal-of-the-registry-agreement-for-net-13-04-2023

I believe ICANN echoes many of the points I was previously trying to make on the CPWG list about this being a largely standardized provision in other agreements. Interestingly, ICANN has provided specific links to RRAs of other major Registry Operators. What I find somewhat concerning is that 2 of the documents are labeled confidential (GoDaddy and Google) and 1 is labeled "Not for Publication" (Identity Digital).

By way of background, ICANN operates a mailing list which I believe is restricted to ICANN accredited registrars to which ICANN posts any potential Registry RRA changes for Registrar review.  I know the registries that I have worked with generally do not make these documents publicly available, which I believe is why most are labeled confidential.  Verisign to my knowledge is the only Registry Operator required to publicly publish their RRA as part of their Registry Agreement.

So on one hand it is a good thing that ICANN is providing clear evidence of the previous point I was trying to make. However, I am hopeful that ICANN got permission from these Registry Operators before posting their RRA which many consider confidential.

Best regards,

Michael