[CPWG] GGP Update + request for feedback

Roberto Gaetano mail.roberto.gaetano at gmail.com
Wed May 10 20:15:24 UTC 2023

Dear Sarah - and all

Listening to the call today reminded me that last week I mentioned in the chat that I would have followed up with some comments - which I did not, sorry.

Basically, what I wanted to say is that we need to make sure that we define the rules based on the result we want to achieve. During last week’s call I was under the impression that one possibility was to rely on UN definitions of “developing countries”. This would be IMHO misleading, because if what we want to achieve is support to underserved groups (and this is in no way equivalent to developing countries) we must define what characterises these groups. It can well be communities within a highly developed country, language (or ethnic) minorities, and more. But what is important is IMHO what is the potential use of the domain, whether this could help improving the disadvantaged situation.

It is, obviously, a dangerous approach, considering that ICANN has been traditionally inclined to use some “external”, possibly widely accepted standards, to govern decisions, avoiding case-by-case judgement - also to avoid potential lawsuits. But the question is whether we can find some objective criteria that describe what we consider applicants that deserve attention because their application is useful to their community and worth be given higher priority.

I think that the document presented now by Maureen has most of what I believe is important, but commit to a more careful reading in the next 24h.

Cheers,
Roberto