[CPWG] Circleid - Universal acceptance issues

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Tue Oct 24 11:20:47 UTC 2023

On 24/10/2023 09:51, Jonathan Zuck via CPWG wrote:
> Not sure I see a technical problem here. It's a "is it worth the effort"
> problem, a market problem as David describes. Of course Meta wants a LOT
> from ICANN so perhaps a swap could be arranged?

I'm not sure that this is a DNS problem so much as a software
development problem. Software developers may have been unaware of the
existence of some of the new gTLDs and this may have played a part in
what happened.

Having ICANN telling software developers what they should and should not
do might result in this kind of response: who is ICANN?

If ICANN wants to do something useful about all this then the best
option would be to promote the use of the Public Suffix list (with some
explanations) rather than simply hoping that developers are aware of the
Root Zone database.

ICANN could be really useful in this respect by providing a reference
webpage with each gTLD and ccTLD and code fragments in the most commonly
used development languages. ICANN could even set up its own Github
account to make it even easier. But it still may not be specifically a
DNS problem.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com