[CPWG] Need Advise: Tokenization of Domain Names

Bill Jouris b_jouris at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 05:32:37 UTC 2023

Before considering this, I would like to see: 1) Some evidence that there is a real problem here.  As in, someone specific has encountered a situation where the claimed lack of liquidity occurred, and had measurable negative consequences. 2) A more extensive explanation (or a link to one) of what, exactly, the proposed solution would involve.  Both technically and administratively. 3) Once we have those two, some persuasive discussion on how the solution effectively addresses the problem. 4) Some indication that the possible unintended consequences have been researched and evaluated.
I may have more, once I've thought longer on the topic.  But those are my immediate reactions.
Regards,
Bill Jouris

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 5:59 AM, gopal via CPWG<cpwg at icann.org> wrote:    Dear All,
Domain names have been a valuable asset for nearly 50 years. However, the lack of liquidity has been a challenge for domain owners.

Tokenization could provide a solution to this liquidity issue. By tokenizing domain assets, owners can sell off interests in their domains, building liquidity from assets that would otherwise remain idle.

Need advise on ICANN Remit pertaining to new crypto-themed top-level domains which could potentially increase the value and liquidity of domain assets.
As a matter of fact, IDN can very well serve as a crypt of a tokenized domain name.
Please advise.
Sincerely,

Gopal T V0 9840121302
https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/57545