[CPWG] On adult websites, inertia, and basic fairness

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 16:43:57 UTC 2024

I appreciate Evan for providing some context to this discussion. It's
encouraging to see constructive thinking in the midst of this situation.
Let's keep it up.

One thing I wish Evan had addressed is the issue of singular and extended
agreements in Registry Agreements (RAs), particularly those that are
Registry Voluntary Commitments (RVCs). These agreements only matter if
there is a dependable and assured mechanism for enforcing compliance.

Here's the crux of the matter: Any worthwhile addition to the base RA,
whether voluntary or not, will inevitably impact a business case or extend
an operational process for a valid reason. From my years of regulatory
compliance practice, I believe ICANN would be wise to avoid interfering in
any business case.

Furthermore, any compliance action in these areas should be properly
defined as regulatory actions. If they must be enforced by agency of ICANN
Compliance, they should be assessed and judged as ex ante regulation.

And let's be clear: ICANN won't be caught dead acting like a regulator.

I'll say it again: The RVCs and any other additions to the base RA, without
a commitment to enforcement, are not worth a bucket of warm spit. They were
never meant to be taken seriously because there has never been, and never
will be, any appetite for ICANN to act as a regulator.

ICM's request for the removal of a previous commitment in the RA that was
itself unenforceable holds little importance, starting with ICANN
Compliance. The ex ante outcome shall be the same as the ex post outcome.
Let's avoid unnecessary vexations and save the outrage.

History will absolve me.

Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*