[CWG-Stewardship] Do we really need a Contracting Co.?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:40:27 UTC 2014

Sorry to insist, my legal background may be lacking, but:

1) I am sure that the W3C, while not incorporated, signed its "host
agreements" with three universities. So, contracting may not be linked so
indisputably with formal incorporation.

2) the ccNSO and the gNSO are structures within ICANN for the purpose of
policy-making and in that regard under the ICANN Board for validation.
However, they do perform other useful functions for the respective
communities without having to refer to the ICANN Board. as a matter of
fact, a lot in the ccNSO relates to internal issues.

Nothing would prevent in my view conferring them with a specific role
regarding the IANA function, that would not be subject to the Board
validation, should we collectively decide to follow that route.

This would seem to me much more bottom up and distributed that creating a
single new, different structure for the sole purpose of contracting, with
the concerns that some people have. Aren't we too unimaginatively trying to
mimic the currant arrangement?

After all, we have not discussed in detail (or I missed it) the composition
of the PRT, but my guess is that it would leverage such existing
structures. So why not explore doing it also for the agreement part?

B.

"*Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes*", Antoine de
Saint Exupéry
("*There is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans*")BERTRAND DE
LA CHAPELLEInternet & Jurisdiction Project | Directoremail
bdelachapelle at internetjurisdiction.netemail bdelachapelle at gmail.comtwitter
@IJurisdiction <https://twitter.com/IJurisdiction> | @bdelachapelle
<https://twitter.com/bdelachapelle>mobile +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32
www.internetjurisdiction.net[image: A GLOBAL MULTI-STAKEHOLDER DIALOGUE