[CWG-Stewardship] On "Entity" and incorporation - key questions to frame our discussion

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:32:24 UTC 2014

Bertrand:

I think these questions have been asked and answered several times
(including by me in  a response to an earlier email), but I"ll do it
again.  Responses inline.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle <
bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Greg, dear all,
>
> Two things: 1) a comment on the notion of "entity" and 2) a few key
> questions that I would like to see clearly answered to move forward
>
> *1) ON THE NOTION OF "ENTITY" AND COMMON UNDERSTANDING*
>
> In your exchange below with Holly, you mentioned two definitions of the
> term "entity". She rightly pointed there were of two types: one from a
> legal perspective and another one a more general, layman's perspective.
>
> Naturally, the first one (the legal one) focuses on incorporation, with
> mentions such as "separate existence for tax purposes".
>
> The second one, however, from the Merriam-Webster was more generic:
>
> *1 a :  being <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/being>, existence
> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/existence>; especially :
> independent, separate, or self-contained existence*
> *b :  the existence of a thing as contrasted with its attributes*
> *2:  something that has separate and distinct existence and objective or
> conceptual reality*
> *3:  an organization (as a business or governmental unit) that has an
> identity separate from those of its members*
>

> I have a simple question: is the IETF an "entity" acccording to that
> definition, although it is not incorporated? I believe the answer is yes.

GS: It is not an entity for the purpose of entering into contracts.  ISOC
(which is a legal entity) enters into contracts.  (IETF is an "organized
activity" of ISOC.)

> As you know, the W3C, at least for a long period of time, was not
> incorporated, relying on three separate MoUs with "host" structures. (It
> may have changed since then but that was the case for several years). Isn't
> the W3C an "entity" for the purpose of the discussion we're having?

GS:  No.  W3C is not an entity for the purpose of discussions regarding
entering into contracts.  W3C is a contractual entity, created by a Joint
Agreement between the host institutions.  W3C members enter into a Member
Agreement signed by all 4 host institutions.

> Likewise, aren't the gNSO and the ccNSO, "organizations" (it is in their
> name) that have "an identity separate from those of (their) members", and
> "something that has a separate and distinct existence and objective or
> conceptual reality", and a "self-contained existence"? And therefore
> "entities" in light of the MW definition above?

GS: They may be entities for some purposes, but not for the purpose of
entering into contracts.  To the extent they are entities, that is
irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

> You may have had a legal meaning in mind for the term "entity" because of
> your own background but it seems clear that in Frankfurt, several people
> clearly understood the word in its more general meaning.

GS:  I believe this has since been clarified.

> *2) KEY QUESTIONS*
>
> In my view, the core of the discussion here can be summarized as follows:
>
> 1) *Is incorporation required to "contract"?* Given that the IETF seems
> to have an MoU with ICANN (among other arrangements with other "entities"),
> I would suppose that the answer is no. Can someone clarify this important
> point?

GS:  As pointed out before, ISOC is the signatory of the ICANN MoU.  So the
answer to your question is *YES, YES, A THOUSAND TIMES YES.*

> 2) If the answer above is indeed no, is there any practical, legal or
> other constraint that would *expressly forbid IETF, the NRO (or ASO), the
> ccNSO and the gNSO to have each an MoU* with ICANN or any other
> contractor for the IANA functions?

GS:  The answer above is yes, so no need to go further.  (I will also state
again for the record that an MoU is a contract, and has to follow all the
rules applicable to contracts in general.)

> 3) If the answer to 2) above is no, what are *the pros and cons to
> establishing instead a specific contracting Corporation*, in terms of
> simplicity, compatibility between the mechanisms for the different groups
> (parameters, numbers, names), guarantee of accountability, stability and
> security of the system.

GS: The answer to 2) is either "yes" or "not applicable," so no need to go
further.

> Unless these questions are clearly answered, I am afraid we will be
> running in circles and losing time.

GS:  I am afraid that a number of people seem to insist on running in
circles.  I have been spending quite some time trying to whack them back on
track.  I do not think that the group as a whole is running in this circle,
or losing time, just a few people who desperately want to find something
that doesn't exist. If it did, don't you think I would be the first person
to bring it up?

I hope that these questions are now clearly and definitively answered.

Greg