[CWG-Stewardship] On ISOC signing the IETF MoU

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Dec 1 22:21:29 UTC 2014

Bertrand

This was discussed in the protocols community during the development of its response to the ICG, with a segment of the Working Group calling for a more formal legal arrangement between IETF and IANA and a larger segment being both afraid to do that, and thinking it unnecessary. The key reason why that is NOT a model for our group, however, is that the IETF knows that if it comes to a serious disagreement with ICANN/IANA, it can simply split off and form its own protocol registry or a new protocol registry. The smaller and relatively expert standards and developers community who uses IETF protocols would know where to go for the official registry.

That kind of a split is NOT possible for the DNS root, not without massive dislocation of the internet.
Furthermore, the economic and political stakes in the names context are much higher.
In short, whether the IETF MoU is legally binding or not doesn’t really matter much, whereas it really does matter for names.

--MM