[CWG-Stewardship] Read the "stress tests" for IANA transition and ICANN accountability obtained by The Register

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Fri Dec 12 08:23:13 UTC 2014

On 10/12/2014 21:12, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
> I think Phil’s point has merit.  There has been indications over the
> last several months that there is less bipartisan bickering and a trend
> to more cooperation in U.S. politics with regard to the transition.
> That doesn’t mean that there playing politics has ended but I do think
> that there is some room for optimism.

Hold on a second, you've just neatly reversed the main contention.

Kieren was saying:

1. There is increasing political discontent with the argument that we
must rush to achieve IANA transition by a fixed deadline, and that ICANN
accountability can be left substantially "unfixed" because of lack of time.

2. This discontent is manifesting itself in numerous ways that evoke
partisan opposition to transition itself, including the recent budget
measure defunding transition pre-9/15,

Phil intervened to point out that the budget measure preventing
transition pre-9/15 had bi-partisan support.

That doesn't undermine Kieren's warning, it reinforces it. Not only
Republicans, but now also Democrats have given their support to a
measure intended to prefer a "good" transition that resolves issues with
ICANN accountability over an "on-schedule" transition, that fails to do so.

We ignore this growing bi-partisan support for good linkage with
accountability issues at our peril.

Kind Regards,

Malcolm.