[CWG-Stewardship] Strickling Remarks from 4 December re IANA Transition and Accountability

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:21:39 UTC 2014

Hi Greg,

I have been off the internet for a while. I see this thread has become a
long one. I just like to mention a few things:

- The current CWG proposal was developed by this entire group and with
access to resources including staff. It started as an idea and was
developed with a mindset of us looking at a possible route. It is not
appropriate for us not to spend similar resources to fashion out details of
us trying another route.
- I agree that the cwg-accountability may be looking at broader level of
accountability but my point is if those IANA specific ones are identified
and implemented, wouldn't that remove the need for a contract co and
further reduce the over reaching power assigned to the MRT?
- You speak about MRT meeting the NTIA requirement of global
multistakeholder. I wonder how you determined that when the details of it's
composition is yet to be released/ascertained.
- I think we should have known by now that IANA function operation is at
full automation so when we threaten movement of IANA from ICANN is it
because of the service delivery or because of board
interpretation/implementation of policy. The former is most likely not
going checkmate anything because that aspect is fully and well operated,
the later is the major aspect and you don't fix that from outside, you fix
that from inside.
- The earlier we view ICANN as home for gTLD the better we "think-of" and
go through a route that builds the organisation with mechanism that makes
it sustainable. We are here talking about taking IANA away, but ICANN will
still be policy source and it will still be the same experience and if
ICANN is not, what's the assurance that the new body will not act the same
way.

Regards
sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.