[CWG-Stewardship] Composition of MRT

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 18:10:36 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 14 Dec 2014 18:50, "Milton L Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> I think people are still getting confused about the role of policy and
implementation, and viewing the MRT as a way to intervene in policy. This
is very dangerous and needs to be discouraged. MRT is concerned with who
the IANA contractor should be and with the accuracy, security, efficiency
and stability with which the names IANA functions are implemented. That is
all.

And what will MRT use to make that decision? and on whose behalf will they
be making such decisions?
What accountability will MRT be ensuring if community developed policy is
not the 100% source of IANA implementation/operation. You are basically
saying that, the proposed overreaching structure should be funded (with end
users money) just to review automated processes/reports.

Cheers!

> --MM

the IANA function, gTLD registries would seek at a minimum parity, in your
proposal, for five members from the ccNSO. Your current composition is
inherently imbalanced by providing for only 1 gTLD registry operator
compared to 5 ccTLD registry operators.

> While ccTLDs have in the past been the primary customer of the IANA
naming services, the delegation of more than 400 new gTLDs means that this
is no longer the case. If you can find rationale to have 5 ccTLD registry
operators in your proposed composition of the MRT, I see no reason why this
rationale should not be extended to gTLD registry operators.

> Thanks,
>

> Donna
>

> DONNA AUSTIN
> Policy and Industry Affairs Manager
>

> ARI REGISTRY SERVICES
> Melbourne | Los Angeles
> P  +1 310 890 9655
> P  +61 3 9866 3710
> E  donna.austin at ariservices.com
> W  www.ariservices.com
>

> Follow us on Twitter
>

> The information contained in this communication is intended for the named
recipients only. It is subject to copyright and may contain legally
privileged and confidential information and if you are not an intended
recipient you must not use, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this communication in error, please delete all
copies from your system and notify us immediately.

cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Milton L Mueller
> Sent: Friday, 12 December 2014 5:42 AM
> To: Guru Acharya; cwg-stewardship at icann.org
> Subject: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] Composition of MRT
>

> Here’s an idea that some of us in NCSG are kicking around
>

> We propose a 21-member team with 2 non-voting liaisons, with some kind of
supermajority voting construct (⅔ or ⅘) for key decisions. The composition
is structured and balanced to ensure that the MRT embodies a strong
commitment to efficient and neutral administration of the DNS root zone
rather than any specific policy agenda. Safeguards must be in place to
ensure that it is independent of ICANN corporate but also cannot be
captured or unduly influenced by governments, intergovernmental
organizations, or specific economic interests.  The MRT should draw most of
its ICANN community members from ICANN’s GNSO and ccNSO, with the GNSO
forwarding 4 (1 member for each Stakeholder Group), and the ccNSO
forwarding 5 (1 for each world region). The root server operators should
also be represented on the MRT with 2 positions. Each ICANN Advisory
Committee (GAC, SSAC and ALAC) should appoint 2 members. There should be 4
independent experts external to the ICANN community selected through a
public nomination process administered by [who? ISOC? IEEE?] but subject to
conflict of interest constraints. Additionally, 2 non-voting but fully
participating liaisons from the other operational communities should be
appointed (by ASO for numbers and by IAB for protocols) to facilitate
coordination across the different IANA functions. MRT members should be
appointed for limited terms sized appropriate to the contract renewal cycle.

cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Guru Acharya
> Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 6:07 AM
> To: cwg-stewardship at icann.org
> Subject: [CWG-Stewardship] Composition of MRT
>

> The CWG is yet to decide the composition of the MRT. I was hoping someone
could throw a strawman composition at us so that discussions can be
initiated.

> As reference, the composition of ICG is as follows:
>

> ALAC x 2
>
> ASO x 1
>
> ccNSO x 4
>
> GAC x 5
>
> GNSO x 3
>
> gTLD Registries x 2
>
> ICC/BASIS x 1
>
> IAB x 2
>
> IETF x 2
>
> ISOC x 2
>
> NRO x 2
>
> RSSAC x 2
>
> SSAC x 2
>

> 1) Should members of non-naming communities (like IETF and ASO) be a part
of MRT since our proposal only relates to the IANA for the names community?
For example, the CRISP (numbers community) draft proposal does not envision
names community members in its oversight mechanism.

> 2) Which stakeholder groups should be included beyond the ICANN community
structures so that the MRT is representative of the global-multistakeholder
community? For example, should IGF-MAG members have a place?

> 3) How do we include ccTLDs that are not ccNSO members?
>

> 4) How do we ensure membership from developing countries (not government,
but civil society or technical community) - is some sort of affirmative
action possible?