[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA's Role in Root Zone Management

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:21:56 UTC 2014

Hi Jordan,

My response inset

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
wrote:

> Hi all, Seun:
>
> On 18 December 2014 at 05:07, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Giving both the right to operate the IANA functions, and the
>>> responsibility for operating the Root Zone, to the same entity would be far
>>> worse in respect of accountability and creating a new massively centralised
>>> power structure in Internet Governance than even the current idea of simply
>>> transferring IANA to ICANN in perpetuity.
>>>

>> The implementation of the names related IANA functions is largely the
>> operation of the Root Zone, so i am not sure i understand why/how you have
>> counted this as double rights?
>>

> Because today, there are two agreements and three parties:
>
> NTIA which essentially "owns" the DNS, and offers two contracts/agreements:
> - to ICANN to be the IANA functions administrator
> - to Verisign to be the Root Zone Maintainer
>
> If I read your suggestion right, you seem to think folding all that into
> one organisation would be OK.

Please note that VeriSign role is simply executing rootzone instructions
from ICANN (which currently gets channelled through NTIA to VeriSign), so
VeriSign by process has no control to independently make any change without
authorisation.
If we both have that understanding then i hope we can then agree that there
is no double rights in that.

> I can't imagine how that would be OK. It would be a giant concentration of
> power in one place and would create an all-powerful central institution for
> names management (absent massive cultural and structural changes at ICANN).
>

>From my explanation (how i understand it) above, i hope you agree that its
not in anyway a new thing and like i said, if Verisign is willing to
continue maintaining (which i expect has cost implication) then one would
envision an agreement between ICANN and Verisign that ensures the
authorisation source remains single as it currently is.

> Even if ICANN transitions to a more accountable organisation in terms of
> what it does, that doesn't balance out the very far-reaching change you
> seem to have suggested of putting all the pieces in one basket.

The way i understand it, there has always been a basket, just that the
basket gets sighted by another party i.e NTIA (without NTIA changing its
content) before it arrives Verisign who then load the content of the basket
in the store

>>> I cannot fathom how anyone who believes in distributed Internet
>>> governance can even contemplate such an idea.
>>>

>> Is your statement above clarified based on my comment above?
>>

> I think so.

Thanks

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*