[CWG-Stewardship] Composition of MRT

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Dec 17 18:21:58 UTC 2014

>We don't keep a cutlass in preparation for a possible headache,
> we keep first aid drugs which we ingest into the same body.
> We should task ICANN to provide those first aids and not scaring it
>with a cutlas which will only worsen the headache

Seun, this is the kind of argument that has made ALAC interventions in this process so frustrating. We understand that you want everything to remain inside ICANN. What we don’t understand is why. Specifically, how that would be good for individual internet uses, or indeed any internet users?

Providing a crude metaphor about cutting off body parts does not, as far as I can tell,  tell us anything about how a complete absence of contractual separability would advance the interests of internet users, especially when this so-called cutlass has been available since 1999.

Your suggestion that ICANN would provide the “first aid” for problems we think it might actually cause  reveals a certain obliviousness to accountability issues that undermines the credibility of your argument.

You repeatedly reference the RIRs in other messages, but fail to note that the RIRs also plan to have a contractual, separable relationship to ICANN’s IANA. You also fail to note that IETF does, too. In short, the bulk of the Internet community sees a contractual relationship – which is how organizations relate to each other, they are not body parts – as the norm. You are the outlier. You have repeatedly failed to justify the ALAC approach.

--MM