[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA's Role in Root Zone Management

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:14:56 UTC 2014

Hi Jordan,

Let me make another attempt to clarify my point

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
wrote:

> Hi Seun,
>
> On 17 December 2014 at 18:21, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> I am afraid you're not getting the point. That contractual and
> organisational separation is very important. It is the *fact* of that
> separation between entities and managing relationships by contract that
> allows us all to feel comfortable.

I think you are mis-understanding my point which is that gTLD at the moment
ONLY has its home in ICANN. Yes contractual approach is currently been used
for gTLD because there is no sense of strong accountability within the
organisation. If there is then need to continue the contractual route it
can ONLY work in the manner currently being used i.e an entirely
independent organisation (like the RIR, IETF, ccTLD, NTIA) makes a service
agreement with the operator. However as we have now identified the need to
transition oversight to multistakeholder, that can ONLY be effective by
implementing mechanism within an organisation that allows the
multistakholder community feel somewhat in charge.

It does not make any diagrammatic sense(talkless of it making a practical
sense) saying a contractor will rely on the resources of the operator in
order to perform its duties.

> I genuinely can't understand why you think that adding it into one
> organisation and removing all that is OK - or even more concerningly, that
> you don't seem to understand how big a change that would be.

I do hope you do understand my point based on above now. Otherwise do let
me know what/where

>>> I can't imagine how that would be OK. It would be a giant concentration
>>> of power in one place and would create an all-powerful central institution
>>> for names management (absent massive cultural and structural changes at
>>> ICANN).
>>>

>> From my explanation (how i understand it) above, i hope you agree that
>> its not in anyway a new thing and like i said, if Verisign is willing to
>> continue maintaining (which i expect has cost implication) then one would
>> envision an agreement between ICANN and Verisign that ensures the
>> authorisation source remains single as it currently is.
>>

> No, we don't agree - as above.
>

>>> Even if ICANN transitions to a more accountable organisation in terms of
>>> what it does, that doesn't balance out the very far-reaching change you
>>> seem to have suggested of putting all the pieces in one basket.
>>>

>> The way i understand it, there has always been a basket, just that the
>> basket gets sighted by another party i.e NTIA (without NTIA changing its
>> content) before it arrives Verisign who then load the content of the basket
>> in the store.
>>

> What if one person controls the whole process, as you are proposing?
> That's the nub of my concern.
>
> The whole process has always been from one source (i.e the IANA operator)
so what its important is ensuring that instruction sent from the source is
as expected. This does not require any external body to look at but require
internal mechanism that ensure the operator does not send information that
is not inline with the community's policy (which will largely require the
bylaw/policy rewording)

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*