[CWG-Stewardship] [ianatransition] A new proposed US bill?

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Thu Nov 20 16:56:39 UTC 2014

Many bills are introduced in the US Congress. Few are enacted and signed into law. The current Congress ends in just a few weeks and this bill will need to be reintroduced in 2015.

Based on my soundings I expect there will be increased Congressional oversight of the IANA transition and ICANN accountability in the new Congress that starts in January. It is entirely premature to speculate whether those hearings will result in any legislative proposals. While Republicans will control the Senate for the next two years any legislation would need at least some bipartisan support to move forward.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050