[CWG-Stewardship] scope and accountability

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Fri Nov 21 12:12:07 UTC 2014

Milton, Mathieu & Colleagues,

Some thoughts in relation to this topic:

First, having read Milton’s email below, I can’t see that I disagree with
any of it and it’s unfortunate if my wording from the Frankfurt meeting does
appear to do so or is taken to mean that I do.

With regard to where I believe we are currently in the work of the IANA
transition CWG, and recognising that this is still work in progress, I see
the following critical accountability levers:

1.       Operational accountability. This will be driven at the first level
by the IANA Customer Steering Committee and, to the extent that this
Committee does not achieve satisfactory outcomes, can be escalated to the
(Multistakeholder) IANA Periodic Review Team.

2.       Overall performance accountability. This will be monitored by the
IANA Periodic Review Team, both periodically and on an ad-hoc basis (in
response to escalation from the IANA Customer Steering Committee) and the
ultimate sanction of this group is twofold:

a.       The ability to terminate the contract mid-term (to the extent that
such contractual provisions are written into the contract)

b.      The ability to contract with a new provider at the term of the
contract (consistent with the contract and with processes to be determined
by the IANA Periodic Review Team).

Notwithstanding the above substantial accountability levers, there is the
issue highlighted from the Charter of the CWG by Milton i.e. as follows:

“The IANA stewardship transition process is taking place alongside a
parallel and related process on enhancing ICANN accountability. While
maintaining the accountability of Internet identifier governance is central
to both processes, this group’s scope is focused on the arrangements
required for the continuance of IANA functions in an accountable and widely
accepted manner after the expiry of the NTIA-ICANN contract. Nevertheless,
the two processes are interrelated and interdependent and should
appropriately coordinate their work.”

Considering the above, I believe that the work of the IANA Stewardship CWG
to date, is largely on track in relation to the following charter provision:

“
 this group’s scope is focused on the arrangements required for the
continuance of IANA functions in an accountable and widely accepted manner
after the expiry of the NTIA-ICANN contract
 ”

However, I believe we do need more work here:

“Nevertheless, the two processes are interrelated and interdependent and
should appropriately coordinate their work.”

And it is this second point which now needs to be picked up as a matter of
urgency and I’d welcome any guidance on this. One factor in doing so is that
the Accountability CWG has only very recently had its charter approved by
the chartering organisations.

Finally, please note the reference in the Chair’s Statement from the
Frankfurt meeting to the IANA Stewardship Charter and drawing attention to
the point of this email exchange as follows:

The Cross Community Working Group (CWG) on Naming Related Functions met for
a face-to-face in Frankfurt, Germany on 19 – 20 November 2014. The highly
diverse CWG is one of the three groups submitting a proposal to the IANA
Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) as part of the overall IANA
Stewardship Transition <https://www.icann.org/stewardship>  process. As
noted in the CWG
<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/48347144/CWG-DT%20Draft%20
Charter%20-%2014%20August%202014%20Updated.doc?api=v2> Charter, the IANA
stewardship transition process is taking place alongside a parallel and
related process on enhancing ICANN accountability.

I look forward to further input, discussion and guidance in any event, and
especially if my understanding outlined above is inconsistent with that of
others.

Thanks,

Jonathan