[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [ianatransition] A new proposed US bill?

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Nov 25 02:18:32 UTC 2014

Agree with Milton here.

To be clear, I was not advocating lobbying by the CWG, merely responding to questions about the bill and the DC process.

Lobbying implies advocacy for or against a specific legislative proposal, and amendments thereto. I doubt this group wants to get into the line of any fire between the Administration and Congress that may develop. Plus lobbying of that kind requires formal registration, or else it's illegal.

But I do think the CWG should think about explaining its work product to both the US executive and legislative branches, which are coequal under the Constitution. There will be numerous oversight hearings as well as related programs at think tanks and other venues. ICANN's lobbyists advocate its views as a corporate entity. NTIA advocates the Administration's position. Do you want to have them explaining the what and why of whatever you come up with, or would you prefer to do that directly?

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050