[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 06:28:53 UTC 2014

Milton,

I think you have this exactly right, both in the framework and the
underlying motivations.

Mary (and others who have raised issues around the need for contracts and
entities)

Some important basic legal points:

1.  An MOU is a contract.  It may leave more to the imagination than a
longer, more detailed document, but it is a contract.  Proposing an MOU
does nothing to move us away from having a contract.  Generally, all you
need to have a contract between two parties (more on that in a moment), is
an offer, the acceptance of that offer, some form of "consideration" (quid
pro quo or "this for that") and the intent to enter into a binding
agreement.  If you have these four things, you will have an enforceable
contract.  This is of course very high level, and there are many nuances,
qualifications, details, exceptions, etc. (one could spend a lifetime on
the subject, if one wanted), but these are the basics.  On the other hand,
if you don't have these things, you don't have a contract, and you have
nothing that binds the parties to perform their duties and obligations and
nothing that can be enforced -- a party can fail to perform and walk away
without consequences (as a legal matter).  Again, these are the basic
concepts.  So -- if you want something that is not a contract, what you end
up with is something that is not a promise and that can't be enforced if a
party fails to perform.  And why would you want that here?

2.  Getting back to the concept of "parties" to a contract: only "natural
persons" (that is, people) and *l*egal entities can enter into contracts.
Corporations and partnerships are legal entities; communities and
committees are not legal entities.  Therefore, communities and committees
cannot enter into contracts.  A legal entity of some sort is needed if a
contract is to be entered into.

3.  Finally, if you have a legal entity, it has to be "domiciled" in some
jurisdiction, whether we are talking about a Delaware limited liability
corporation or a French societe anonyme (apologies for lack of accents).
So there's no getting away from jurisdiction.  Again, this is general, but
these are the basic concepts.

In sum, if we want promises from ICANN that can be enforced -- a key type
of accountability -- we need a contract and an entity that is capable of
entering into that contract, and that entity will have some jurisdiction as
its domicile.  Other than contracts (which can be thought of as private
"laws" between the parties), the only other way to regulate behavior in a
legally enforceable way is through laws and treaties (which can be thought
of as contracts between nations) -- and I don't think we should go there
for many different reasons.

Hope this helps us stay out of these particular weeds.

Greg Shatan
[Caveat: Not legal advice (of the sort that creates a lawyer/client
relationship)]

--

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*666 Third Avenue **ï** New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> *

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*