[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 18:50:54 UTC 2014

Olivier,

I think we did look at the "trust" proposal on the email list before
Frankfurt.  Indeed, I think many of the aspects of the trust proposal have
made their way into the current proposal (other than the use of a "trust"
entity).  Avri points this out in this thread.

I think that the current proposal amalgamates aspects of many of the other
proposals that were on the table during the course of this proposal.  This
kind of "magpie" approach is what was expected, and I think it worked.
Frankly, I don't think an "internal to ICANN" proposal was ever put on the
table within the group prior to Frankfurt in any kind of tangible, concrete
fashion.

As for the entity vs. legal entity issue -- I think we've beaten this to
death by now.  If we have a contract, we need a legal entity to enter into
it with the IANA Functions Operator.  So, while it is not a done deal that
Contract Co. is a non-profit corporation (though I don't see a better form
suggested), it is a done deal in this general structure that Contract Co.
is a legal entity.

Specifically, there are a number of technical/legal reasons a trust *per se*
is ill suited here.  There needs to be a Settlor (aka Grantor or
Trustmaker) who needs to contribute an already existing piece of property
(owned by the Settlor) to the Trust at the time of its formation.  The
Beneficiary of the trust must be an entity that is capable of taking and
holding title to the property (i.e., it must be a legal entity).  I've
tried to think of ways to make it work, but it just keeps feeling like a
square peg in a round hole.  (Also keep in mind that a Trust is a legal
entity, created in a certain jurisdiction.)  Nonetheless, the idea of a
lightweight, limited-purpose entity, which originated in the "trust
proposal," made its way into the current proposal, as did other aspects of
the trust proposal.

This should not be viewed as a boxing match between proposals, where it is
one or the other.  This is a fundamental mischaracterization of the
process.  Rather, the process should be viewed like a table full of
building blocks, where loose pieces (wherever they came from originally)
are put in place to fill needs as the proposal comes together.  Continuing
that analogy, it is less likely that pieces put on the table after the
proposal has been built will make their way in, unless they are superior
solutions to existing components.  Pieces that require the entire proposal
to be scrapped and started over are not likely to be looked at as favorably
by many at the table (except by their contributors) as they would have been
earlier in the process.  I'm not saying these are off the table -- but they
are not as likely to be picked up from the table.

Finally, I would disagree with your characterization of what happened in
Frankfurt, except for your statement that "warnings ... gained no traction
for various reasons which I would not attribute to Groupthink."  I agree
this should not be attributed to Groupthink, but rather to legitimate
reasons for lack of traction.  Further, I think certain warnings not only
"gained traction" but contributed to improving the proposal -- which is how
this should work.

Greg

--

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*666 Third Avenue **ï** New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> *

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*