[CWG-Stewardship] Update on IANA IPR

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 22:00:14 UTC 2015

I wanted to note some statements which appear to be factually inaccurate.

In "D," you state that the IETF Trust "is for the public benefit and the
global internet society."  I do not see that in the trust document.  *The
sole Beneficiary of the IETF Trust is the IETF* (see Article IV of the
Trust Agreement).  in other words, the Trust is for the benefit of the
IETF.  This cannot be ignored.

The Purpose of the Trust is "the advancement of education and public
interest by acquiring, maintaining and licensing certain existing and
future intellectual property and other property used in connection with the
Internet standards process and its administration, for the advancement of
the science and technology associated with the Internet and related
technology."  Although this goes beyond benefiting the IETF, this does not
support the statement in D either.

It should also be noted that all the Trustees of the IETF Trust are members
of the IETF Admin Committee.  As such, it's clear that this is an
IETF-centric trust, which is not consistent with owning an asset that is
used in connection with the needs of all three communities.

In "C," you state that "an underlying motivation was that the IPR should be
held somehow “in trust” for future use by the relevant users of that IPR."
 This ignores the essential nature of what trademarks are.  A trademark
cannot be held in a a neutral manner "in trust" (although it can be owned
by a Trust).  A trademark is an identity, which must be actively assumed.
A brand owner is the proprietor of the trademark and the businesses
identified by the trademark, and needs to assume the obligations that come
with donning that identity.

For example, if you buy the Ralph Lauren trademark, then (for business
purposes), you become Ralph Lauren.  (He may be able sell clothes, etc.
under the name Ralph Lipschitz, but not Ralph Lauren.)  Here, if the IETF
Trust takes over the INTERNET ASSIGNED NUMBERS AUTHORITY and IANA trademark
d the trademarks transferred to the IETF Trust, *the IETF Trust becomes the
INTERNET ASSIGNED NUMBERS AUTHORITY*. The IETF Trust is ultimately
responsible for monitoring and assuring the quality of the work product and
services of any licensee using the brand (currently ICANN).  ICANN is then
a mere licensee, providing services by permission of the IETF Trust under
the IANA brand, which is an IETF Trust brand (just like Vaseline is a
Unilever brand).  By no means is ICANN the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority anymore.

Second, you do not state who the "relevant users" of the IPR are.
Currently, the only entity using the IANA and INTERNET ASSIGNED NUMBERS
AUTHORITY trademarks as a trademark is ICANN.  (Referring to IANA in an RFC
is using it as a name ("nominative use") not using as a trademark to brand
their work product.)  I suppose the "future users" would be any
replacements for ICANN -- but then it is not really being held "in trust"
by the IETF Trust; the IETF Trust would continue to be the IANA brand owner
and the "future users" would continue to be mere licensees, operating under
the oversight and control of the IETF Trust, which in turn is accountable
only to the IETF.

Perhaps it's entirely acceptable to the CWG that the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority identity shift from ICANN to the IETF Trust, and that the
IETF Trust becomes responsible for brand protection and quality control of
all INTERNET ASSIGNED NUMBERS AUTHORITY and IANA brand services.  Perhaps
we have no choice but to find it acceptable, or to try to find ways to make
it acceptable during the implementation phase (e.g., by overhauling the
IETF Trust so it is an appropriate brand owner for this brand in which we
have distinct interests)  It certainly seems acceptable to the numbers and
names community.  But we should at least be accurate about what is
happening.

Greg