[CWG-Stewardship] Update on IANA IPR

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sat Aug 15 00:27:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm using Greg's message becuase it's handy and highlights an
important fact, but this is really to everyone.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:59:56AM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:

> the IANA and INTERNET ASSIGNED NUMBERS AUTHORITY.  I've also pointed out,
> as have others, that the IETF Trust must be accountable to the names
> community (and the numbers community) if it takes on this role.

On re-reading this thread just now, I thinK I detect some emerging
agreement.  If I'm understanding things correctly, it looks to me like
people are agreeing that something consistent with the existing ICG
proposal (an entity that is not the IFO) is possible in some cases,
that the CWG can handle that as a matter of implementation and
therefore maybe doesn't need to say anything to the ICG, and that the
implementation does require some mechanism of accountability to each
community about its use of the relevant IPR that probably needs to be
hammered out in at least its broad outlines fairly quickly.  Does that
seem fair?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com