[CWG-Stewardship] Question re fiduciary duties and separation

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:45:37 UTC 2015

Jordan,

I don't think there is any reason that separability would be rendered
inoperable by the CWG's proposal.  Quite the opposite.  We have been very
focused on separability, and it is one of the key principles that underpin
our entire proposal.  We have developed a community-driven separation
process for that purpose, culminating in the SCWG.

I think the issue of the ICANN Board's duties, including fiduciary duty, is
more nuanced than you imply (or than Jones Day may sometimes appear to
imply), and it includes duties relating to the public interest, among other
things.  We have received advice from Sidley Austin on this broader issue.
I don't have it at my fingertips, but it should be available on the CWG
wiki pages, where there should be a page with documents, including
documents from Sidley.

Given the Board's duties, there did not seem to be any question that the
Board could agree to relinquish the IANA operator duties relating to
names.  I expect this would be further clarified in the Bylaws relating to
the SCWG and to separation generally.

Greg