[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [client com] CWG Comment Letter to CCWG 3rd Draft Proposal

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Dec 11 19:42:18 UTC 2015

Greg:
☺ I see that you _still_ don’t quite understand what the IANA is. That is to say, the distinction between an IFO, a functionary contracted to carry out certain functions for the operational communities who are responsible for the registries, and “the IANA” – the generic term for the top level registries as embodied in the IETF RFCs – seems  to elude you. I refer you back to our original conversations about this.  You were arguing that ICANN or PTI should control the trademarks and domains and you lost that argument. I will have to continue to insist, therefore, that PTI not be called “the IANA” and I really don’t see why you insist on contesting this, because there is nothing tangible to gain by so doing. Fundamentally, I care simply because it is inaccurate but it also has implication for separability and a clean handling of the trademark issue.

I am also a bit astounded by the story you have made up about PTI’s organization. Please direct me to anywhere in our proposal, or in our deliberations, where it was decided that PTI should be nothing more than a re-labeling of ICANN’s IANA department and that the transition would not involve any movement, separation or transfer of facilities. I would be very curious to know how and when you got the idea that your personal assumptions about what the separation of PTI got ratified as the one and only version of implementation (“that is our proposal”). PTI is a separate corporation. It may be a controlled subsidiary of ICANN but it is a separate entity, with its own staff, budget, management, and board. Sure, there can be some resource sharing with ICANN but I think we need to devote some serious thought to the implications of blurring the lines between it and ICANN so much that the whole point of legal separation is lost.

--MM