[CWG-Stewardship] Notes and Action Items: CWG IANA #18 conference call 15 January 2015 14:00 - 16:00 UTC

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Thu Jan 15 18:26:25 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, transcripts, and recordings for the CCWG IANA #18 call on 15 January are available on the
Wiki here:  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=51413036

Also, here is a summary of the Agenda, Notes and Action Items:

Agenda

1. Welcome & Roll Call

2. Status Updates from RFP subgroups

3. Relationship with CCWG-Accountability

    a. Review Flowchart

    b. Inputs for Frankfurt

4. Looking Ahead & Timeline

    a. Key Dependencies

    b. Legal Advice

    c. Timeline

5. Review of Action Items

6. AOB

Notes 15/1:

Robert on phone line only

Chairs' Statement:  <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-01-12-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-01-12-en

RFP3 presented by Greg

*       Work this past week was taken over by work weekend. Notes the creation if RFP3B sub team.

*       Most activity has been on list. Also a data-mining project to find nuggets from previous
calls that can help in futhering the RFP3 draft work (Bernie is staff support on this)

RFP3B presented by Allan

*       First call yesterday -- good attendance

*       Suggestion to go back at look at the functions we are trying to replicate, so that will be
focus of next call

RFP4 presented by Robert

*       Did not have a meeting this week, so are at same status as last week.

*       Siva circulate a document for which we are still awaiting feedback. Siva's document is
available here:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QVC12Q-NuB35pyaBirUDF85DBR_oFHkEYC5vbWu04go/edit?usp=sharing>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QVC12Q-NuB35pyaBirUDF85DBR_oFHkEYC5vbWu04go/edit?usp=sharing

RFP5 presented by Cheryl

*       Also no meeting last week, but have a draft in Wiki and able to contribute some early work

*       Draft page here:  <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/CWG-RFP5+-+Draft>
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/CWG-RFP5+-+Draft

Relationship with CCWG-Accountability

Please take a look at the flowchart to see the conditionalities

Inputs for Frankfurt (initial draft by Alan) -- there is some urgency because the CCWG is meeting on
Monday and Tuesday.

The two streams of work (CWG and CCWG) are interrelated but need to be decoupled in some way. The
timelines are not in sync, which is why there is a need for conditionality and coordination.

For a draft list of inputs, please see Alan's email on list.

Chuck Gomes: There are some items for which we don't need input from the CCWG-Accountability. For
example:

#2 Independent certification for delegation and re-delegation requests --> this is in "our court"

Internal to ICANN Model Requirements

Milton Mueller: Hard to know what actions you will need when you remove separability

Jonathan Robinson: When the transition occurs,IANA function must remain operational. Must also
replace NTIA's role in oversight

Avri Doria: The list may actually be more complex, but not sure how to show/capture that yet

Paul Kane: any decision made by the ICANN Board should be subject to appeal (also endorsed
Jonathan's and Chuck's earlier statements)

1. gTLDS

2. ccTLDs

    a. contractual agreement

    b. no contractual agreement

Action: Avri & Chuck volunteer to work on Alan's document

Action: Grace to assist editors with capturing comments made on today's call in document

Looking Ahead & Timeline

A. Key Dependencies

*       one of them is relationship with CCWG-Accountability (Jonathan will discuss)

*       legal advice (will be discussed under B)

*       chartering organizations

--> No new key dependencies

*       Will need legal advice on what we can and cannot do (under the current ICANN structure)

*       The details of the way forward

B. Legal Advice

*       Take a look at the draft and the thread on the list

*       Had conversation with Sam Eisner from ICANN Legal. She assisted in refining the questions.

*       Will receive outside counsel and, even through ICANN will pay, the direction and advice is
provided to the client (the CWG).

*       Will be an iterative process -- more detailed legal questions can be added as we get them

*       ICANN has a procurement process so if we used a firm that had never worked with ICANN
before, then we would need to go through that.

*       --> This is a dependency as well, so will need to consider "Legal A (no procurement)" and
"Legal B (procurement)"

Action: Review Legal document and comment as soon possible

C. Timeline

Chairs had dialogue with ICG Chairs. Indicated that CWG needs more time. ICG Chairs understand that
but would like a new timeline proposal.

We have started to review a timeline, keeping in ind the dependencies, and will propose this on
Thursday next week.

Would be useful to get an update to the draft by Singapore (to help with discussions)

Action: Chairs to present revised timeline on next call.

Action: all should start to think about questions for which we'd like to have feedback in Singapore
(communities can discuss within their own meetings)

5. Review of Action Items

Action: Avri volunteers to work on Alan's document

Action: Grace to assist editors with capturing comments made on today's call in document

Action: Review Legal document and comment as soon possible

Action: Chairs to present revised timeline on next call.

Action: all should start to think about questions for which we'd like to have feedback in Singapore
(communities can discuss within their own meetings)

6. AOB

Please complete your SOIs. Will send reminders to those who have not completed them.

The next call is on Thursday 22 January at 11:00 - 13:00 UTC. For a full list of upcoming meetings,
please see: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/Meetings

Best,

Brenda