[CWG-Stewardship] GNSO-ccNSO engagement in the Multi-stakeholder model

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 16:36:11 UTC 2015

Martin,

I'll speak as one of those GNSO non-registry types (I'm in the Intellectual
Property Constituency, one of the constituencies of the Commercial
Stakeholder Group).  If I were to be on the review team (or CSC), I would
see my job as determining whether PTI was doing the job required of it in
the contract and SLAs, and whether it was meeting the needs of all
customers/users (not just gTLD customers/users).  Frankly, anything else
would be a perversion of the process.  I have zero interest in trying to
sneak policy issues or debates into an operational review process.  I
really don't see any reason why "heavy [which I would debate as a
characterization] GNSO membership will lead to to re-running policy issues.

I think it is a bit narrow to view the stakeholder groups within the GNSO
as essentially policy-development bodies, just because the GNSO's main
purpose is policy development.  This is an entirely understandable view,
but it's not correct.  It might make sense if there were "non-policy"
stakeholder groups mirroring the GNSO stakeholder groups, but there
aren't.  As a result, the stakeholder groups in the GNSO deal with all
manner of DNS-related issues, not merely policy development, and have done
so all along.  Furthermore, while each SG or C may represent the
perspective of its stakeholders, the SG/Cs (and in particular, the actual
individuals who are participating in the CWG and other ICANN matters) are
not working solely (or even primarily) out of parochial self-interest.  We
realize we are involved in a bigger enterprise and that if we are given a
hand on the ship's wheel, we cannot merely try to steer the ship toward our
own port.  Granted, there are some participants who see everything through
the perspective of their group's policy desires, and whose every move is
intended to advance only those desires.  However, those who act
singlemindedly and selfishly tend to get marginalized (and in the end, get
less done in the long run for their stakeholders as well as for the greater
good).  Furthermore, those participants tend to gravitate toward those work
areas most directly related to their stakeholders' interests, and tend to
have little or no interest in other affairs at ICANN.  The corollary of
this is that those participants who gravitate toward work areas less
related to their direct interests tend to be the participants who tend to
see the bigger picture, who want to work toward broader goals, and who
share the long-term common vision of a highly functional ICANN and DNS.  In
sum, I think your fears are unfounded.

That said, clear terms of reference are an excellent idea and should be
part of the review team's foundational documents (charter, etc.).  I don't
think that's a controversial idea (nor a new one).  And I don't think there
will be any problem with GNSO non-registry stakeholders (or for that
matter, non-GNSO non-registry stakeholders) failing to understand or trying
to subvert those terms of reference.

Greg