[CWG-Stewardship] DT-O recommendations/responses for Public Comment Review Tool

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 03:27:45 UTC 2015

David,

Thanks -- that's very helpful.  I'm not surprised that IANA staff has been
directly involved in development and innovation for the systems that the
IANA staff uses; that makes perfect sense.

The examples that were given earlier, though, were DNSSEC and IPv6, where I
expressed skepticism that these were the result of R&D carried out by the
IANA staff (which is not to say they were completely uninvolved).  Perhaps
they were just inapposite examples.  More on-target examples, such as the
ones you gave, might have taken this exchange down a different path (or no
path at all).

In terms of budgeting for the near future,
​it sounds like ​
appropriate funds would need to be allocated
​ for development and innovation by PTI,​
due to
​(1) ​
the plan "to impose a vast array of new service level requirements for the
IANA functions (and not just naming-related functions) that will need to be
monitored", since "In order to meet these new requirements, non-trivial
amounts of software development will" need to "be undertaken directly by
IANA staff"
​ and (2) the replacement of aging systems. ​

​My overall takeaway then is:

1.  PTI, as a separate corporate entity housing the IANA staff, will need a
discrete budget.
2​.  ICANN will also need to budget for IANA-related expenses and
activities carried out by employees and resources other than the IANA
staff, since these will remain within ICANN (the "corporate parent").
​3.  PTI will need to budget for development and procurement relating to
replacing aging software systems and to meeting any new requirements put in
place as part of the transition, and for any other expenses relating to
changes to the IANA staff's technical environment.
4.  ICANN will also need to budget for R&D relating to innovations relating
to inputs to the IANA function (along the lines of DNSSEC and IPv6), which
are not developed primarily by IANA staff.

​Greg​