[CWG-Stewardship] Escalation Process

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Fri Jun 5 07:27:54 UTC 2015

Hi Olivier,

I think there's a bit of confusion creeping in here, so I wonder whether I could give an interpretation of what I see as the single case of the escalation from the CSC.  Remember that this is *only* to do with issues related to the mandate of the CSC - ie to the performance of the service.

* CSC seeks to get the PTI to remedy service-level shortfalls.  This could include reference to the PTI Board or to the ICANN CEO given that the issue might be that the PTI is not receiving necessary resources to address issues.

* Still no improvements:  CSC raises the issue with the GNSO and ccNSO.  This is essentially a "sanity check."  In its discussions, DT-C was concerned that (perhaps as few as) three people could make a significant decision.  By their role, CSC members will be very close to the issue.  The GNSO and ccNSO role is to get a clear understanding of the issue and its impact on the direct customers.

* If the ccNSO & GNSO agree that the issue is serious and systemic, they will propose (or endorse the CSC recommendation for) a special IFR.  At this stage, this process goes to a public comment and multi-stakeholder engagement process.

So (and again I stress that this is an escalation triggered by a CSC recommendation) the role of the GNSO and ccNSO is to validate the views of the customer community.  Once this has been done, the process becomes the full multi-stakeholder process.  As this will be a process massively expensive on volunteers' time, it would be silly to launch a process on performance issues if the customer community did not see any strong reason to go through this process.

Hope this helps

Martin