[CWG-Stewardship] Transition Proposal v.3 -- Edits due on Sunday at 23:59 UTC

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Sun Jun 7 20:22:48 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm generally ok with this.  Thanks to the secretariat for an excellent job (again) in pulling all the bits together.

A few comments (mainly questions and minor suggestions, but the comments on paragraph 133, Annex G and page 118 are substantive):

*         Paragraph 108:  question - wouldn't legally transferring "related resources, processes, data, and know-how" to PTI mean that there would need to be a process for recovering this should the IANA functions operation be subject to an RfP?  Or put another way, wouldn't it be easier to grant the PTI rights to use while keeping these under the rights of ICANN?

*         Paragraph 105:  suggestion - given it is an American legal term, shouldn't "affiliate" be explained somewhere?

*         Paragraph 112 & footnote 8:  repeated wording - the idea of using NomCom is in the paragraph and in the footnote using slightly different wording.  I'd suggest deleting "for which the NomCom is qualified" to avoid confusion.

*         Paragraph 120 footnote 10:  missing text - I suggest that you add "periodic review" at the end of the footnote.

*         Paragraph 133:  I have concerns about this new text on SLEs.  I see no reason to expect SLEs to be "in keeping with actual IANA performance" and have noted in the past that SLEs should be related to operational requirements.  There can be a substantial cost impact of setting SLEs too high.  That a performance is not set as a service level does not prevent it being monitored to see how the IANA functions operator is performing.  I would suggest replacing, "more in keeping with actual IANA performance" by "appropriate to the needs of customers."

*         Paragraph 142 2:  question - should we say who is responsible for developing the transition framework?

*         Annex D:  question - I thought that we had agreed that the IFR should report to the ICANN Board.  It would then be for them to discuss action with the PTI Board.

*         Annex F:  missing footnote - footnote 48 is absent of content.

*         Annex G:  table in paragraph 356 last cell.  I'm not sure how this has happened but the second bullet ("independent review ... can continue") seems to suggest escalation at this stage, whereas this is about remedial action and we have also agreed that the CSC would escalate through the ccNSO & GNSO.  Actually I think that this step was seen as approaching the parent company to try to unblock the issues (this might be appropriate if the PTI needs additional resources - budget, additional staff beyond their agreed plans).  This bullet should really be about ICANN Board intervention to address issues?

*         Annex L:  Paragraph 392 3rd bullet: clarification - I really think that before going to develop the RfP, the SCWG should seek input on views for what needs to be included in the RfP (in particular from the customers, although the NoI & FNoI were to the community when NTIA went through this process.  This would help focus thinking in the preparation of the requirements for the new contract.

*         Annex S page 116 ("COST/PRICE"):  pure ignorance - I'm not sure what "No charge to ICANN" means.  All (or most) ccTLD contributions to the operation of the IANA are via the ccNSO (the voluntary contributions).  So I would expect ICANN to pass on the PTI that amount that was calculated as being the cost of the IANA service.  What am I missing?

*         Page 118 top row comment [KP68]:  we have agreed that there should not be an independent evaluation of root-zone change requests, so this row should remain deleted, shouldn't it?

Thanks

By the way, I will not be able to join the call on Tuesday evening, but I'm happy to try to respond to any feedback on the issues I have identified.

Martin