[CWG-Stewardship] drift in v5

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Wed Jun 10 20:11:37 UTC 2015

I wanted to clarify some apparent misunderstandings from the discussion.

For clarification, the IETF has, upon request from ICG, determined that it would be
willing - if asked - to hold the trademarks and domains. We are awaiting ICG and other
coordination to complete on this matter. An agreement to put the trademarks and
domains into the IETF Trust has not been written, so it is premature to speculate
on what possible additional constraints such a move would bring to the parties.
However, the only possible purpose of the move could only be to guarantee that the
three communities in question would always have the ability to employ them
at their discretion.

The IETF trust is a legal entity, unlike claimed in recent e-mail.

FWIW, a few personal opinions follow. I agree with Alissa that the CWG
should try work this issue out if you can before it reaches the ICG.

Also, the text in the new version is a surprise to me. The way that I read
it, it would make it impossible for the numbers and protocols folk to continue
to use the trademarks. Which we have been doing for a long time.
I think some coordination and correction may be needed.

Jari Arkko, IETF Chair