[CWG-Stewardship] Triggering of Special IFR

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Jun 11 07:30:05 UTC 2015

Hello all

looking at the slide deck for the presentation (downloadable from
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53778352 ),
page 12 , I raised a question on the first Webinar.
The slide says: "Review cycles: 1st review to occur no more than 2 years
post-transition; then every 5 years. Or by special request of CSC, GNSO,
or ccNSO (Special IFR)."

I took up this sentence and asked: "A Special IFR can be launched by
CSC, GNSO, *or* ccNSO? I was under the impression that a Special IFR can
be launched by CSC, GNSO *and* ccNSO" only.

I was told, in response, that the slide is correct, and an IFR can be
launched by the CSC, or ccNSO or GNSO.

The *or* vs. *and* is very important.

So I looked at the proposal again, Annex F.

" Following the exhaustion of the above escalation mechanisms, the ccNSO
and GNSO will be responsible for checking and reviewing the outcome of
the CSC process (as defined in Annex G), and the IANA Problem Resolution
Process (as defined in Annex J) and for determining whether or not a
Special IFR is necessary. After consideration, which may include a
public comment period and must include meaningful consultation with
other SO/ACs, the Special IFR couldbe triggered by a supermajority vote
of each of the ccNSO and GNSO Councils according to their normal
procedures for determining supermajority. "

To me, this translates to: a special IFR can be launched by CSC *and*
GNSO *and* ccNSO agreeing that a special IFR needs to be launched. It is
impossible for the CSC *or* the GNSO *or* the ccNSO to launch a special
IFR singlehandedly.

So is the slide on page 12 and the response I was given on the First
Webinar right or wrong? This is a serious issue.

Kind regards,

Olivier