[CWG-Stewardship] ICG request concerning IANA trademark and iana.org domain name

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:26:54 UTC 2015

As a practical matter, I am actually in favor of Andrew's proposal, since
that is the simplest way to signify to a reader that the CWG has not yet
formed a position on this point. It is something that we need to work on,
based on a speedy (but not hasty) collecting and analysis of all the facts,
including facts best learned from members of the protocols and numbers
communities, and consultation with outside counsel.

The current proposal was perceived by some as being inconsistent with the
other proposals and as a result, we were requested by the ICG to rather
rapidly resolve this perceived inconsistency. Upon reflection and
discussion with a variety of people, I don't think we would be best served
dealing with this in a sprint.

However, I also take Jonathan's point that the document in fact does not
state a position on this point, or indeed on any other point in the Term
Sheet in Annex S, given the particular caveats attached to Annex S. I
further take our esteemed co-Chairs' point (expressed by Jonathan for
himself and Lise) that it is too late to change the physical document.
This makes sense to me, given that it is in front of the Chartering
Organizations for an "up or down" vote after some weeks of consideration.
Further, I trust their judgment to navigate this critical stage.

I might tentatively suggest that the co-Chairs consider the possibility of
a communication responding to the ICG and providing further comfort that
this is not a position being proposed by the CWG and should essentially be
"read out" of the document.  Thus, the Proposal (being in the end, silent
on the matter) is not inconsistent with the other two proposals.

Hopefully, this will be sufficient for the ICG to allow us to work out our
proposal on this point without a fire drill.  I think there is a spirit of
goodwill to do so and I am looking forward to the opportunity.

Greg