[CWG-Stewardship] Legal cost reality

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 16:34:08 UTC 2015

Chuck,

I agree with virtually everything you say.  Just a few small points,
regarding the IANA trademarks:

   - I would not assume that bias (or, to use a less loaded phrase, the
   desire for a particular result) is less of an issue than on any other
   point.  I'm not saying that it is; I'm just saying it should not be assumed.
   - I don't believe ICANN has specific in-house trademark expertise.
   Jones Day appears to handle their trademark portfolio.
   - Jones Day and Sidley are likely to have roughly similar billing
   structures (unless ICANN has an alternative fee arrangement with ICANN
   specifically), so the likelihood of a significant cost savings by using one
   top-notch multinational firm instead of another top-notch multinational
   firm is relatively small.

Greg