[CWG-Stewardship] [ccTLDcommunity] IAP DT Template - FORMAL OBJECTION

Chris Disspain ceo at auda.org.au
Mon Mar 2 21:36:14 UTC 2015

Allan,

> So, overall, the objective with the proposed DT is to determine whether there is any form of consensus in the ccTLD community for an appeal mechanism for ccTLD delegations and redelegations in the limited sense described above.  This will most likely include undertaking another survey of the broad ccTLD community at some point.  It goes without saying, that if there is no consensus then there would be no basis on which to make any recommendations to the CWG.  I invite you to join the DT to help us bring some closure to this issue.

I can only try to be clearer.

Firstly an IAP to deal with escalated disputes about IANA agreed service levels or performance is absolutely necessary and if that is intended to be the work of this design team then I shall be delighted to assist in any way I can. However, the proposed name of this team and the detailed description indicate that it is to do work on an appeals mechanism for ccTLd delegations and re-delegations and not on the other matters.

There may well be consensus amongst ccTLDs that there needs to be some from of appeals process in respect to delegation and re-delegation. That is not the point. The point is that it is not within the remit of the CWG to deal with the issue. Nor is it ‘necessary’ for the issue to be dealt with prior to or as part of stewardship transition.

The creation of an oversight or appeals mechanism regarding delegation and re-delegation is contemplated in RFC 1591 and ‘recommended’ in the Framework of Interpretation. The discussion around creation of any such mechanism and an actual decision to create such a mechanism sits fairly and squarely under the banner of policy and therefore can only be dealt with pursuant to the ccNSOs policy development processes. Discussions on this matter would need to be held by a ccTLD group that involves the GAC. The scope of those discussions would need to be carefully crafted to avoid falling foul of RFC 1591, the Framework of Interpretation and the GAC principles. It is an extraordinarily delicate subject that will take many many months to navigate to the satisfaction of the ccTLD community and governments.

The ccNSO through its Council has accepted the report of the FoI WG and it will shortly be sending it to the ICANN Board. The next step is in the hands of the ccNSO.

So, in summary, my problem is not with the principle of a delegation.re-delegation appeals mechanism. My problem is that the process for dealing with the discussion about it and then deciding to create it is a POLICY process and is in any event specifically excluded from the scope of the CWG by its charter.

If I have misunderstood the intentions of this design team proposal or misinterpreted you in any way, I apologise in advance.

Cheers,

Chris Disspain | Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
T: +61 3 8341 4111 | F: +61 3 8341 4112
E: ceo at auda.org.au | W: www.auda.org.au
auDA – Australia’s Domain Name Administrator

Important Notice - This email may contain information which is confidential and/or subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this email.