[CWG-Stewardship] Principles and Criteria that Should Underpin Decisions on the Transition of NTIA Stewardship: New Draft

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Thu Mar 5 18:02:20 UTC 2015

It was helpful of Elise to give us a flavour of the concerns of the GAC.  Sovereignty is a fact of life, we live and work in a jurisdiction subject to local laws.  We do need to recognise that that includes in making policy decisions for a TLD where different governments want different levels of control over the process and where the registry is likely to have other stakeholders that it needs to bring into the process, too.

I'd like to try to bottom out what is a statement of the bleedin' obvious, and what pushes language into the realms of the unacceptable for one side or another!

Without a discussion on the finer points of national sovereignty, aren't we simply trying to find a way of saying that a state has the right to govern itself (give or take a few international treaties and decisions, of course, where the state has ceded a certain amount of autonomy)?  However, the IANA functions operator should not be exposed in the middle of a dispute because there are ramifications to the state's decision.  We must not forget that it will be at fault if it makes a decision based on an unjustified request.

In this light, I would read the GAC communiqué text not as saying that the IANA functions operator must obey any instruction given by a government (who issued the instruction?  What was the authority that it had to do so?), but that the [FOIWG report] should not prevent the IANA functions operator from acting in line with a legitimate request, properly made and where the final battle has happened.  I wasn't there, of course, when the communiqué was drafted, so I will have to rely on Elise for chapter and verse on what the text conveys for her and her government.

As I said in the call earlier today, I will continue to work with Elise and Paul to try to identify wording for 7.ii that recognises that not all policy decisions are made locally and that some are not made through nationally agreed processes.  (The .uk policy process, for example, is not a formally agreed process and certainly not a government-mandated one:  it is a multi-stakeholder engagement exercise that has general agreement and support from the different parties.  Its legitimacy comes from its openness and the fairness of the process.)

And thanks to everyone for their patience!

Martin