[CWG-Stewardship] Principles and Criteria that Should Underpin Decisions on the Transition of NTIA Stewardship: New Draft

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Mar 5 22:07:22 UTC 2015

From: David Conrad [mailto:david.conrad at icann.org]

That is, the phrase "the IANA functions operator must obey any instruction" is not in the best interests of the security, stability, and resiliency of the Internet's DNS.  The "any" part of that must be limited to those instructions that do not have negative impact on the global DNS.

...and this is a more operational way of saying that when a shared global resource is involved, sovereignty is limited, it is not absolute and unrestricted. This is not so unique, limitations or changes in our conceptions of sovereignty are becoming far more common in the wake of globalization. If a ccTLD's usage and operation were confined to a national territory then it would be fine for a government to claim exclusive authority over it. But once the shared DNS root zone is involved, you are dealing with a shared resource and changes might affect other players in the world, including other states.  That is how we got the dual trusteeship concept back in 1994; it was clear even then.

Milton L Mueller
Laura J. and L. Douglas Meredith Professor
http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org<http://internetgovernance.org/>