[CWG-Stewardship] Notes, Recordings, Transcript CWG IANA F2F Day 2 Session 6 | 27 March

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Fri Mar 27 12:05:30 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CWG IANA Face to Face Day 2 Session 6 Meeting on 27
March are available here:   <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52893300>
Session 6

Notes

Review & test models (part 2)

In last session, group discussed models on the "frontburner":

*

*        Contract Co. : How do you decide who the Board would be?

*        Accountability enhancements to ICANN

*        Hybrid model (affiliate) --

*        Hybrid model with shared services: co-owned by ICANN, IETF, RIRs with shared services
agreements

We'll now clarify exactly what we mean by the "frontburner" options. For the hybrid, there are still
some open questions.

Do we in all cases contemplate a separate legal entity or do we consider a divisional form of
governance?

Are we looking at ...

*

*        External

*        Internal without subsidiary

*        Internal with subsidiary

Yes, it's internal with subsidiary at time 0, but we could separate in the future if wanted/needed.

The internal model is not the status quo. Can you bring in the hybrid/integrated model at the last
stage?

Principles / Requirements

Sidley has compiled the NTIA priniciples and the CWG legal scoping document principles. What are
some of the principles to add?

*

*        Capture (but needs to be better defined)

*        Stability in case of strife (legal attack, etc) --> covered in  NTIA principles

*        Diversity of community (gTLDs and ccTLDs)

Complete: Sidley needs to see Principles document

List of items to 'stress test' our work against

*

*        Implications (RFP4)

*        CCWG Stress Tests

*        SAC 069

*        Principles

Challenge with table approach is that it doesn't really take us to where we need to go. It seemed to
make more sense to do pros/cons

There is no model on the table that does not have the ability to separate

-- > there is a principle of separability that the CWG is working with

WILL DO LIVE EDITS -- NOTES WILL BE PAUSED

Action Item:  Grace will send edited version of slides at lunch break

External > Contract Co.

*

*        Moves stewardship to another organization

Internal > Accountability Mechanism with functions separation

*

*        We may not need to create subsidiary right at the point of transition, but may need to work
to establish it within first 2 years, for example. This is so that it's done before time of stress

Principles will be a test