[CWG-Stewardship] Notes, Recordings, Transcript CWG IANA F2F Day 2 Session 7 | 27 March

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Fri Mar 27 15:12:31 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CWG IANA Face to Face Day 2 Session 7 Meeting on 27
March are available here:   <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52893302>
Session 7

Notes

Overarching concerns that affect all models :

*        legacy of TLD contracting or not (diversity of community idea)

*        Continuity of service (staffing)

Review & test models (continued)

Focus: what are the objectives and constraints?

At the point of transition, the functions will be with ICANN and the job of this group and the
CCWG-Acct is to ensure that we can be satisfied with that. Eventually, there needs to be possibility
for separation if required.

We are using the term "stewardship" interchangeably, but the term means different things depending
on context (NTIA is steward for DNS)

Internal and external models are about how the separation of the names function is managed if
needed.

A stewardship problem is different than a competency problem

At some point, there is a need to discuss MRT and whether that is needed or not (for internal, ICANN
may have the structure in place)

Comments from Sidley

There is a lot of work to be done to understand the models and the 'teeth' that their mechanisms may
provide

Sidley is well positioned to help carve this out. Could do with 3, but is much harder. Would prefer
fewer or a priority.

Question to consider during the break

What are the fundamental issues that we are trying to solve for?

Are we or can we converge around a solution? Is there something around which we can converge?