[CWG-Stewardship] A few additional comments for … Two additional webinars on 6-7 May

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Sun May 3 23:09:58 UTC 2015

In UK English, instructions tell someone what to do.  So alternative wording is needed, if there is a difference between US and UK usage.

Currently the ICANN Board plays a role of (what I would see as) due diligence for its operational team.  It is not included in the SOW, but, on a critical function where its reputation is on the line, I could imagine it would want to check that staff had done their job and there would be no come-back on ICANN.  But I do not see it as an instruction, so different wording is needed.

As I said last night, I do not understand why, in introducing legal separation, we would split the role between subsidiary and parent company.  I’ve not heard any clear reasoning as to why it would be appropriate and I would see a clear issue of accountability associated with this split function.  It is not a failing of the PTI if the ICANN Board screws up.  Moving the PTI to a new operator doesn’t solve the problem.  People can only be held accountable for things they can do something about.

On separability, I said in an e-mail early in this thread that “Our objective in oversight of the operation of the IANA functions should be to ensure as near a self-healing process as we can get…  If … we end up with a failing IANA functions operator…, we need to be able to find a solution and implement it quickly.”  By this I mean, we should try to make the system work (and take some time to do this to avoid disruption), but if it is failing and won’t reform we need to respond and separate quickly.

For reasons that we’ve now discussed at length, I feel nervous about turning over the knowledge of ccTLD issues without first taking the obvious action of seeking to remedy defects.  I am sure my threshold is higher than yours, but from a TLD point, stability is important.  However, once a consensus decision has been made, I oppose making separation inordinately difficult.

Hope this helps clarify my position.

I have a question back to you on gTLDs:  doesn’t the ICANN Board have a different (operational) role given that gTLDs are in a contractual relationship with ICANN?  No contract, no IANA entry?  So it would be quite appropriate for the ICANN Board to instruct the PTI to act, wouldn’t it?  And the PTI might (as I believe is currently the case) expect to see a similar checklist of meeting terms and conditions.  In my mind, accountability for a decision badly made would be with the ICANN Board (especially if it lied in the checklist).  The counterpart to that is that the PTI Board could refuse an instruction on the grounds that it was not sufficiently documented.

MB