[CWG-Stewardship] Responses to ICG Questions

Mueller, Milton L milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 5 14:39:03 UTC 2015

Alan,

I still find your answers unsatisfying.

AG
> What I (or anyone on the CWG or ICG) is not the issue. WE cannot unilaterally
> cancel the agreement between tow other parties, and if Verisign plans to do
> that, I have not been informed.

Please stop knocking down straw men. No one is claiming that CWG can alter the Verisign Cooperative Agreement, and in fact there are several statements I have made and ICG has made recognizing that that part of the transition is in NTIA's hands. I see a tendency here to say that because NTIA must modify the CA, that CWG is absolved of the responsibility for designing the relationship between PTI, ICANN and whoever the RZM is.

> The CWG *HAS* laid out how this should unfold and it is documented in
> 1150, 2b. We have not drafted the contract, and I believe that
> without an indication from the NTIA as to how it will proceed, I
> believe that is premature.

Does  1150 2b answer any of the following questions?
 - Does PTI contract with the RZM, or does ICANN? Or does someone else?
 - Who is the principal and who is the agent of this contract?
 - If ICANN is the principal, can it decide to give the contract to someone besides Verisign? On what time frame? On what criteria?
 - What are the basic terms/elements of this contract? Does the RZM get paid?