[CWG-Stewardship] Responses to ICG Questions

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:16:19 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Mueller, Milton L <
milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> wrote:

> [...]

According to the CWG proposal, PTI contract with ICANN as far as being IFO
is concerned.

>  - Who is the principal and who is the agent of this contract?

ICANN will be principal and PTI will be agent again in the sense of PTI be
IFO.

>  - If ICANN is the principal, can it decide to give the contract to
> someone besides Verisign? On what time frame? On what criteria?
>  - What are the basic terms/elements of this contract? Does the RZM get
> paid?
>
> At risk of being repetitive, let me say that CWG cannot just throw up its
> hands and say, "whatever touches Verisign is NTIA's problem, not ours." The
> RZM is a generic role that will outlive the NTIA cooperative agreement and
> possibly even Verisign. If the CWG has no idea how ICANN and PTI relate to
> the RZM structurally and permanently, it hasn't done its job.

I think its important to just always remind NTIA that they are yet to
initiate(clarify) the parallel process that would determine how the
corporative agreement between NTIA/Verisign will go[1]. I don't think its
within the CWG's scope to initiate that process and i believe that was also
clear in the proposal. Its not even within ICANN's scope who is the
convener of the transition process.

Regards
1. *Q. What impact does this announcement have on the cooperative agreement
with Verisign?*

A. Aspects of the IANA functions contract are inextricably intertwined with
the VeriSign cooperative agreement (i.e., authoritative root zone file
management),*which would require that NTIA coordinate a related and
parallel transition in these responsibilities. *

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!