[CWG-Stewardship] CWG response on .ARPA (Fwd: Re: [NRO-IANAXFER] Questions from the ICG)

Mueller, Milton L milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 8 21:59:38 UTC 2015

Is there any reason to believe, even in a wild scenario, that the CSC or an IFR has the remit, authority or jurisdiction to remove (or even recommend the removal) of a TLD (.ARPA or otherwise) from the root?

I assume that Greg at least understands the proposal well enough to pose this as a rhetorical question.
But in case anyone else is confused, the answer is short and simple: No.
The existence of a TLD  in the root is a policy decision my within the ICANN or iETF processes, CSC and IFR review only the performance of the IANA in implementing those decisions.

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology