[CWG-Stewardship] Appropriate Stewardship safeguards.....

Paul M Kane - CWG paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 20:35:45 UTC 2015

Dear All

Firstly, let me say in the past with NTIA's stewardship (including the IANA
contract rebid) the ICANN/IANA have done an excellent job at serving the naming
community.

However, I would like clarification on the CWG's desired mechanics of the
independence of the IANA Functions Operator from or being "impacted" by ICANN
Corporate interests.

My understanding was that the PTI was "separate" from ICANN (yet
internal to ICANN).
My understanding was that there was a pre-determined escalation path to
resolve disputes between IANA operator and its customers
My understanding was that in the event of a failure by ICANN/PTI to meet the
needs of the Registry naming community - the IANA functions would be stripped
out.... (in a controlled pre-determined manner).

Can I be reassured that my assumptions are correct ???

Thanks

Best

Paul